Before 40… I had to control everything and perfection ruled. I was an expert at micromanaging my employees (not the best way to motivate people), everything had to be in order at all times, and anything less than perfect hurled me into an anxiety attack. Nothing less than my high standards would do. Workaholic was my middle name.
After 40… I learned to lighten up a little (but just a little) and tried to live a less stressful life, but my inner control freak just wouldn’t let stuff go. I had a hard time adjusting to working smarter instead of harder and longer, delegating tasks to my team, and not sweating the small stuff. I was overworked, overwhelmed, and making my body sicker and sicker each year I kept up the hectic pace. Arthritis, asthma, frequent colds and infections, headaches, muscle tension, and who knows what else had taken over from many, many years of chronic inflammation caused by stress, poor eating habits, and lack of sleep. I was, dare I say, a bitch to live and work with. I tried everything to change, but nothing worked. I was too exhausted and burned out to implement any changes effectively. Something had to give or I was headed for a life of misery. Then it all came to a head. Only a year after I started getting healthier and working a little bit smarter, everything just crashed. Sometimes, when you need it most, life just kicks you in the ass and forces change for your own sake.
As I sit here eating my breakfast this morning I’m reminded that many of you have struggled with what to eat for this important meal, and still keep it healthy or gluten-free. The thing to remember is that breakfast doesn’t have to be eggs, oatmeal, toast, bagels, etc. It can be anything really. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Leftovers from last night’s dinner. This morning I had a cold piece of meatloaf from last night’s dinner.
- Smoothie with a high quality protein powder (could be prepped ahead and shaken in the morning). My favorite protein mix is Shaklee Life Energizing Shake and my favorite recipe is Strawberry Banana: Mix 2 scoops of Strawberry Life Energizing Shake with 8 oz of almond milk (or liquid of choice), 3 frozen strawberries, 1/4 banana, and ice in your blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. It tastes delicious!
- Saute some chopped veggies. I prep a bunch of veggies on Sunday for the week so they’re ready to go in a jiffy. I use them in breakfast recipes, salads, soups, etc. It’s the only way I’ll get enough in my diet. I’m lazy once the week gets going and I’ve had a long busy day in my business.
- Chopped veggies (anything you like) with eggs and seasoning in muffin tins, baked ahead.
- Bowl of mixed berries
- Fruit of any kind
- 90 Second Mini Muffins. They’re free from gluten & dairy – Get the recipe here
You get the idea. Think outside the box. It’s time to retrain our brains about what a breakfast needs to be.